Thursday, December 29, 2005

Bus Fuss

The Metrobus here in St. John's has a really great service whereby for 2 dollars you get a ride and a copy of the days Telegram. On January 2nd, I doubt I'll be grabbing a paper anymore because 2 bucks will only get me a ride due to Metrobus' decision to hike the rates.

While I can understand why the rate hike came, I'm completely disgusted by it. Right now, on average, I'm paying $24.50 a week or $98.00 per month whereas in January that will rise to $28.00 a week and $112.00 a month. That's a significant increase if you ask me and a deterrent from using the service. In this day an age when we should
be promoting the use of public transportation to clear our roads and clean our air, hiking the rates will only do the opposite. Like with many other things, we are moving backwards as a society.

If only there was a way to promote the use of bus systems so that more citizens use it. With an election upon us, I suggest that the people of St. John's express their disdain with the rate hike and see what the local candidates are going to do about it. I know that the Green Party has a policy in their platform to make all bus passes tax deductible which would indeed lessen inhibitions from using the bus service but, what do the others plan to do? This I'd like to know. As a concerned citizen worried about the amount of vehicles driving today and subsequently the amount of toxins being released into the air, I deserve to know.

No comments: